Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default Getting Rid of Mice in Basement

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..
mm wrote:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 03:04:36 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

C & E wrote:

My experience after one year of owning a new double wide which we use as
a cabin is that the mice will run off with scads of bait and hide it in
the most improbable places.

HaHaHa! I recently removed a 275 Gal oil tank
in the basement. We Sawzalled the legs off close to the
floor. These were hollow pipes, open at the top.

When removed, there were 4 tidy piles of bait on the floor.
The mice had been dutifully carting the stuff all the way down

from the attached garage, thru the crawl space.

Does this mean that they didn't die from it? How long does it take
for this stuff to kill a mouse, and do they carry it back to their
nest before or after they eat it?

Jim

Most cause death 4-5 days after consumption. The D-con type pellets are
easily carried away, with the bait blocks and meal baits they tend to eat
it where they find it.

Lar

After going thru several large boxes of the stuff I figured that they were
either immune, had a colony of hundreds or decided that this was like canned
peaches which they would save for times when the natural food sources were
covered with snow. After finding the pellets in our bed and on a high shelf
at our cabin I wnt to the traps. Three mice later I didn't have another
infestation for a couple of months, caught two more a couple weeks ago so
we'll see how long that lasts. Traps... **get traps**!!!