Loren A. Coe

Default Microscopes, Course/Fine vs "Coaxial" Focus

A.Gent wrote:

In this case "coaxial" means two knobs on one axis, fine focus being a small diameter
knob on the inside, coarse focus being a large diameter knob on the outside.

Coincidentally, I just took delivery of my new binocular microscope today. Low power
(10x & 20x) for inspecting (in my case) tool bits and coins.

I put one of my lovely, pristine, proof(like) coins on the stage, focussed on it,
and... ...now I wanna take the microscope back! Sob! ;-( Jeff

gak! why? bad scope or dinged coins?

i would not be going thru this exercise if i could just _find_ the
stereo head i bot at work (surplus) for $10. a nice B&L unit, but
sans base. it's nice to have some stuff "in the bin", but when you
can not longer find anything, it get's to be frustrating (didn't we
just revisit this subject?). --Loren