Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default What wood is this?

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:32:01 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why OP is trying to make the
finial match the finial in his neighbor's house,
instead of making it match the post, the railing,
or the finial at the other end (if there is one).

Because my house is one of ten row houses. With the exception of a few
things, like fireplace mantles and some extra trellises, all the houses
were identical.

The missing finial is on the ground floor. Woods varied by floor. In my
house the ground floor is oak. Then the parlor floor is mahogany. The upper
two floors are poplar.

At the other end of the railing, and upwards through the house, the finials
are simple balls with three engraved strips around them. This one is the
only one like this. That is why I used a neighbor's house to photograph and
measure it. I got a large caliper and we took very detailed measurements.

As for the recommendation for Rosenzweig to get the wood. Thanks for the
suggestion, but my friend lives in Calgary and he says he can easily get
either ash or white oak. (He was visiting when we measured it.)

Gee. I wasn't expecting to start such a long and controversial thread!

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).