Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Sylvania remote or tv problem

Hi!

Before I bother my TV repair guy with this one, is there a list of
what TV's this remote should control-- or some way to determine if it
is the remote or the TV- when the TV is an hour away?

As others have suggested, many video cameras are sensitive to IR. I have a
digital still camera that is also sensitive to IR in the "night" or slow
shutter mode. While this will confirm that the remote is emitting something,
it won't tell you if the remote is emitting anything sensible. Your
mentioning that some buttons failed before the whole thing quit makes me
think that the remote is to blame.

As for your universal remote problems, I have a Magnavox table TV that has
only ever worked properly with its factory remote (not even a learning
remote could fool it) and a Kyocera DA-610 CD player that no universal
remote has ever been able to control.

I could think of two things offhand. First, look at the back of the TV and
see if there is an FCC ID number printed on the back. This will tell you who
made the set. You might then be able to cross reference and find another set
that would be compatible for test purposes.

Secondly, try taking the remote to a store where TV sets are sold. If the TV
that goes with this remote isn't terribly old, you might find that another
set will respond to its remote.

Finally, try a few different brands of universal remote.

William