Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default TELCO wire (old) VS CAT5 or 6?

On Feb 14, 3:36 pm, mrbubl wrote:
I am 17K' away from the CO,and can only get 768K DL and had 1.5 before
with another provider. House has OLD 4 wire and I can easily run CAT5-6
for the ADSL new from the demarc to the server. Don't really care about
voice on this line as it is a data line primarily. The OLD 4 wire was
run by the TELCO way back when 60's-70's as a voice line but would like
to increase my DL speed.

1960 style wiring (and things on those phone line you don't know
about) might seriously degrade that ADSL signal. Current requirements
(recommendation) even from the FCC is for Cat3 wire or better.

First, an ADSL modem (better types) provides information about signal
strength. A number to find and record before starting to debug.

Second, disconnect the entire house at that demarc. Connectc ADSL
modem directly to demarc so that your wiring is not used. Then again,
read what those signal strength numbers are. You can 'try this and
try that'. But getting those numbers and doing that simple experiment
will provide far more useful information - and result in more useful