Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default What wood is this?

In article , Steve Manes wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:35:32 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
Again, pardon me if I question your wood identification. *Red* oak has a
faintly vomit- or urine-like odor to it. *White* oak smells like toast and
vanilla.

I've cut, planed and milled probably a thousand board feet of red oak
just in this house renovation. I've recycled a couple of hundred feet
of the original white oak as well. I know what red oak smells like
and I know what white oak smells like.

Obviously we perceive smells very differently.

--
Regards,