Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Can I burn recently fallen wood.

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:41:11 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

You can try, but you won't be happy with the results. It will smoke and add
an inch of creosote to your chimney. Fine for a camp fire, if that's what
you had in mind. Most moisture loss is through the end grain, and your tree
didn't have any because it wasn't cut up.

Only fresh wood that burns well (that I know of) is black locust.

It depends on how dead it was before it fell. Firewood
dries just as well standing up as it does lying down,
but only if the tree was actually dead. You should be
able to tell when splitting it whether it's too wet
to burn well. Check for insect infestation before
bringing the stuff inside.