Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default moving a garage

First, whatever trouble you all are having getting out of the garage
will recede dramatically with practice. When I first drove to NYC, I
took the Pulaski Skyway in New Jersey, and it's elevated 30 or 40 feet
and if you are in the left hand lane, there are cars and trucks coming
at you with no median, no Jersey wall, nothing. And very little room
on the right. I was a reckless youth, but still scared. I took it
many times thereafter, and 5 years later, it occurred to me that they
must have widened the road, because it seemed so wide. But it had the
same cast cement pillars that were out of fashion by then and it would
have cost a fortune to widen a skyway.

I realized that I was just a better driver.

It won't take you five years. It didn't take me 5 years, only 5 years
to notice it. It will take you about 3 months.

16 feet is a lot. It just doesn't look like houses you all grew up
in, I'll bet. After a while you'll be used to the look and think
farther away is worse.

more below

On 15 Feb 2007 18:36:54 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:
Gosh golly that's a tough one. Asssuming the garage has it's own pad
that means demolishing that portion of the pad after the garage is
moved.

Not necessarily. You can make use of it as a basketball court, an
outdoor place to park the car when jacking it up, as a place to grill
food, as an enlargement of the driveway, and other things.

I once hired some guys to move a large shed for me. It was
cheaper than I expected and when they showed up they were total pros
who knew what to do. Look in the yellow pages under house movers.
Hard to say what it will cost but it may be cheaper than you think.

A garage is usully very simply constructed. You should be able to
demolish the front part of the garage and pad to make room. Then put
an additon on the back to make up for it. It can't be much harder
than moving the entire garage at least it's another idea.