Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Septic Systems

While authorities will insist on the laundry water be drained through the
septic tank, it is one of the worst things you could do. Many years ago
before synthetics, cotton, wool and flax fibers and lint would break down in
the tank along with the normal waste products. However, polyester, nylon and
other synthetics do not break down. They sit inside the tank or flush out
into the drainage field and slowly over time build up a matte of synthetic
fibers throughout the drainage field causing it to eventually clog up and
need replacing. Since the regulations are much tighter now than when older
septic systems were installed, a similar system cannot be installed in the
same space if you have limited room. This now will require a much more
expensive system to be installed.

It is much better to protect and not abuse your present system than to
destroy it and have to pay to install a complete new style system.

"Andy & Carol" wrote in message
Do these products made to clean, and produce bacterial action,
actually work to keep the tanks working, and system clean.
I had to start using more water, and detergents do to a family member
added to our home. Do to incontinance, various bleaches and ammonia,
had to be used in order to control order on clothes.

The system is starting to get slugguish, will anything help?