Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jerry_maple@hotmail.com is offline

Default Sylvania remote or tv problem

On Feb 16, 6:16 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
My 80yr old parents have a Sylvania SRT2227s that quit responding to
the remote. [first a couple buttons- then all of them]

This suggests that the contacts on the remote might be messed up.
Could be a combination of dirt and bodily fluids, or possibly the
contact material on the backside of the rubber keypad is wearing away.

For the first problem, you can try cleaning the keypad and the circuit
board contacts in the remote with alcohol and a Q-tip. For the second,
you can buy conductive paint to put on the keypad where the contact
material has worn off. That works for a while, then the conductive
paint wears off too - DAMHIKT.

Only other thing I ever had go wrong with a remote was a solder joint.
Dropped a remote and it stopped working. Opened it up and looked
around. Turned out whoever put it together had clipped the leads of
the crystal very short before they soldered it in - the shock of
dropping the remote was just enough to break the connection.
Resoldered the crystal and it worked again.

If I couldn't get the remote to work after trying those 2 or 3 things,
I think I would bite the bullet and order a direct replacement remote
from the manufacturer. Which is exactly what I did with a JVC remote a
couple of years ago, after cleaning several times and recoating the
keypad failed to improve it's performance for very long.

Jerry