Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Which Midi lathe?

On Feb 16, 10:30 am, Turner wrote:
I have been lurking here for years and have never post any
message. I am aware this question and similar ones had been
posted umpteen times. I don't write well and to avoid taking
too much bandwidth, I take hours to compose each message. I
am seeking advices and suggestions from experienced turners,
to avoid pitfalls and to save a few bucks if possible.

I sure wouldn't worry about typing skills, spelling, etc. Personally
(I think it is obvious to many here) I sit down at the keyboard and
whack away. As long as you understand what I am saying (or pretty
close!) thats fine. I try to keep an eye on spelling and usage, but
reading an old post of mine will sure let me know I am up way too late
sometimes when I am posting here.

This is a boards of opinions where we come to share out experiences,
not final judgements on brain surgery. Your opinion is quite welcome,
and I hope you post as much as you want.

Welcome, Turner.

That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with the Jet mini
with your $400 price requirement. With a grand in total you would
still have a lot left for new cutting tools, grinder, etc.

You could do the following:

Jet indexing variable speed mini: $269
(lowest price on the web at Amazon!)

4 jaw scroll chuck from Grizzley $100

Start out with Benjamin's best tools from Penn State, budget $100 to
get started. Only buy what you need. You will want other tools
later, and may want to make some of your own.

Slow speed 8" grinder with friable wheels $100
from Woodcraft

That should leave you about $400. You can buy your duplicator
(although on pens, that is a real waste of time as they are not even
close to accurate enough), pen kits, sandpaper, finishing supplies,
etc.

Robert