Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default milling machine

Steve knight wrote:
| On 14 Feb 2007 11:25:52 -0800, wrote:
|
|| ayup. I have a mill-drill as my main drilling machine in the shop.
|| a rotary table is on the list of things I want to find at a yard
|| sale someday....
|| the big disadvantage of a mill for woodworking seems to be slow
|| spindle speeds.
|
| a rotary table is a pain to setup (G) what a hassle to get it right.
| speed is not a big issue use a hss endmill and just be careful
| when you exit the side grain that's when you can get blowout. other
| then that it is not a problem. I don't usually change speed anymore
| if I am not exiting side grain.

Tip: If your setup allows you to plunge to cutting depth at the exit
point, doing so before making the cut that's producing tearout will
usually eliminate the tearout problem.

Corollary: If you have tearout at the beginning of a cut, try plunging
to your cutting depth with the center of the bit at the edge of the
stock.

HTH

--
Morris Dovey