Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bazza Bazza is offline

Default Conservatory - brick wall or no?

Mikeyboy wrote:
Hi
I am thinking of getting my lean to consevatory updated. I would like
to be able to use it for more of the year - at present it is no good
from late September onwards - too cold. It is only single glazed, and
has brick sides so the only glass is the roof and front, which is all
glass with a sliding patio door.
Just considering the options for the change - thinking of hardwood.
Should I go for a low brick wall or keep it all glass? Which is best
for winter use?
Thanks for any advice you can give!

Hi Mikeyboy,

Having finished my self build dwarf wall conservatory just before
Christmas (had the parts delivered April 2005 but but then I am a slow
worker but did promise the wife that we could have Port and biscuits in
it on Christmas day)
I fitted underfloor heating (from Screwfix) with tiled floor and walls
and 2 twin 13a sockets.
Looked at full length Conservatories but considered they looked too much
like a greenhouse, already got one of those.
The dwarf wall done in the same brick as the house is more
anaesthetically pleasing

During a cold spell in January the underfloor heating (150w per square
metre) kept it to about 13c when outside it was below freezing, have a
convector heater to boost the temperature when needed.
The insulated cavity wall will make a difference to the heat retention.

It all boils down to the fact that glass is not a good insulator so less
is better for warmth but less glass less light, a dwarf wall system
gives you a bit of both

Bazza