Posted to sci.electronics.repair
boardjunkie boardjunkie is offline

Default Starlite Consumer Products DVD Player question

On Feb 14, 11:53 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
I have a 95 day old (90 day warranty) DVD player that intermittently
refuses to read dvds. Typically, after 4 or 5 loading tries, the disc
is finally recognized. When it fails, the LED lights up, the carriage
moves back and forth many times, the tv shows loading, and then
finally gives a no-disc signal on the tv. After I removed the cover,
nothing changed. I have pushed on all the cables and sockets, and
also pushed on the various PWBs, all with no changes noted.

Any suggestions besides adding to the next grbage collection.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

You may want to check out the spindle motor. Common failure with
requent use.

A friend of mine suckered me into making an attempt to revive a
Panasonic DVD-RV26 player recently. Did some research on the error
code (HO2) which was regarded to refer to pickup failure. Watching it
during spin up something didn't look quite right and there seemed to
be a little too much resistance when turning the disc platter
manually. I don't work on much consumer stuff so I don't have a stock
of motors to swap out to verify the problem. So I removed the motor
and popped the back off. Cleaned the shaft, bushings and brushes.
Lubed the bushings, assembled it and tossed it back in.
Took right off.

So I tell him I basically put a band-aid on the problem and if it
starts acting up again the motor needs replacing.