Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Generator and boiler lockout revisited

Richard Walker wrote:

Hi Thanks to those who replied to my posting on this a few weeks ago
in which I said that ch boiler locks out when I run it from a petrol
generator supply
Sparks: you suggested I measure voltages as generators are often
centre tapped. Results (no load) are - L--N 240v
N--E 85v
L--E 85v

I am now more puzzled than ever. Where's my missing 85v?

The output is probably floating - with no electrical connection to earth -
and what you're measuring is probably just an induced voltage. Chances are
that you can actually strap N to E with no ill effects.

Try this:
Connect a mains 100w bulb between N&E and see whether it glows at all.
Assuming it doesn't (mine didn't!), repeat the above 3 measurements with the
bulb in circuit. You'll likely get something very close to:
L--N 240v
N--E 0v
L--E 240v

If this is the case, you can safely strap N to E with something having a
much lower impedance than a lightbulb. My genny has 2 x 13A sockets. I have
made up a plug which has an internal wire between N and E, and that is
plugged into one of the sockets - with the other socket being used for the
real output. The genny runs perfectly happily. I haven't yet tried powering
my boiler with it (preferring to wait for warmer weather, when the boiler is
less critical) but I have every confidence that it will work.
--
Cheers,
Roger