Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Don is offline

Default Painting a stairway. What's it worth? Pics included.

You need a 3-way ladder. They cost about $100. I could do the job in
2 hours per coat, but I am a journeyman. My price would be $340 if she
supplied the paint

cheers
Don

On 15 Feb 2007 19:51:57 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:

Is it a manufactured home? I ask because the finished trim is
installed before the first coats of paint..

Thanks for the reply. No, she contracted the home herself that's why.
She hired Amish carpenters for the framing hence the ceiling return.
She has some kind of artistic thing she wants to do rather than have
regular trim so basically she plans to paint the steps herself with
some kind of arsty fartsy pattern. I figure it's cheaper than trim.

Just get a ladder and stretchplank and paint the darn thing..Remove
the
railing and roll right thru that area.

Dennis that is a good idea. I can paint a lot of it with the step
ladders and planks that I already have. I have a nice selection of
step ladders and planks of every length.

The problem is cutting in that ceiling return, it's really up there.
I'm not confident I will be able to reach it from a plank. The
ceiling return may prevent access to the upper stairs but I am on this
idea. I might make a dry run with the ladders and planks before I
decide. Or, I realize now that I can just take vertical measurements
to make the call.

If She's been nice do'nt charge Her too much,,just guesstimate and
give Her
a deal,,sounds like She earned it(being nice) and has a new house to
pay for..

Heck yes, she's been nice. She does sewing and repairs in town. When
I have trouble with my zippers or have a shirt or jacket needing
repair she takes care of me. When your zipper quits working it can
just be the slider. She will just replace your slider for two
dollars, no kidding. A complete zipper for a jacket is only seven
dollars.

She is not exactly broke though since she has a new house and rental
property besides and she is willing to pay and wants a number. I
talked to my sister and she says it could be anywhere from $150 up to
maybe $500 depending on where you live and if you like the person. It
need to be primed and probably two finish coats. She will supply the
paint. If I can do it without buying a new ladder then less. If I
have to buy a new one then maybe more. thanks for the input.