Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.consumers,sci.chem,uk.media.tv.misc
Sofa - Spud Sofa - Spud is offline

Default Oxygen Bleach

On 15 Feb, 22:10, Richard Brooks richardbro...@vickers-
supermarine.com wrote:
Dave Fawthrop said the following on 15/02/07 08:34:

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:26:50 -0000, "Mike Cawood, HND BIT"
wrote:

|!"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
|! alexander.keys1 said the following on 13/02/07 20:43:
|!
|! There was a great kids book in the local library that mentioned that
|! hydrogen peroxide mixed with manganese dioxide was what powered some WWII
|! torpedoes. There was also a small projectile launcher experiment using
|! the two same materials on the same page.

|!Isn't getting kids to experiment with explosive materials somewhat
|!irresponsible, even in those days?

I never lost a friend to explosive experiments, or putting bangers into
bottles, or shooting rockets at each other

I just remembered a mate of mine who was a bit of a nutter. His
grandfather had the usual workbench in the garage, so clamped a length
of fishing rod in the vice, filled the end with weedkiller and sugar,
bent the end around and put a small pile of the same on the bench and
lit it. Someone had decided to shut the garage doors which were made
out of that sheet asbestos and the brass fitting made a neat hole in the
door.

Then again, he used to throw railway fog warning mines at brick walls
and pick up the ones that were dented and threw them back at the wall.
We didn't know such things existed until a police officer came to our
school and described them with drawing on a blackboard to us as some
other kids had knicked a consignment earlier.

We used to have a police man come round and show those little metal
things that went on the track and exploded as the train went over
them . The school was by a railway , why they couldn't just look after
the bloody things properly got to me even in the infants!!