Posted to uk.education.schools-it,uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Moving a projector in a school

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:16:07 -0000, Tx2
wrote:

In article , Lurch
of , felt we'd be interested in the
following...

Not overly convinced on the legality of just buying a PAT tester to
avoid paying a trained person to do the job.
Can't see a great difference tbh.

Of course there is a difference.

The PAT tester records the test, and cross references asset and test
numbers; thereafter the result is uploaded onto a computer, and the
record is kept in line with legislation.

Sticking a sticker on without testing is quite clearly falsehood.

I'm confident our site manager is operating within the law.

In fact, legislation seems to say:

"The IEE Code of Practice states, those carrying out the inspection and
testing must be competent to undertake the inspection and, where
appropriate, testing of electrical equipment and appliances having due
regard of their own safety and that of others."

Our site manager is certainly competent, as are members of our IT Team.

If you can offer legislation which states someone must be specifically
trained, certified or whatever is required, i'd be interested to read
it.

Using a PAT testing machine is a relatively minor part of the actual
test. Probably much more important is examination of plugs, leads,
fuses and so on.

--
Frank Erskine