Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Can I burn recently fallen wood.

You can try, but you won't be happy with the results. It will smoke and add
an inch of creosote to your chimney. Fine for a camp fire, if that's what
you had in mind. Most moisture loss is through the end grain, and your tree
didn't have any because it wasn't cut up.

Only fresh wood that burns well (that I know of) is black locust.

"mm" wrote in message
Part of a tree fell down last night. The tree was at the edge of my
yard and had been dead for a year or two, at least.

Do I have to age this before I can burn it? When I hit two pieces
together they go clop or knock and not clump. Sounds very dry.

Most of the bark is off the trunk which starts at 6 inches in diameter
where it broke off. Any bark that hadn't fallen off was barely stuck
on.

Don't know what kind of tree it was, but it was about 30 feet tall
after 27 years and its limbs were sort of scragly. Not a pretty shape
like a fir tree or a maple or oak.