Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Isn't/Wasn't there a shorage of phone lines?

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:22:50 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

That's likely why ALL phone numbers in this medium-small town used to
have the "657" prefix (and we had 5-digit dialing for local calls).
Now, there are several different prefixes (and even a second "overlay"
area code). Now it's 10-digit dialing. You have to use the area code
to call someone across the street.

I've told this before, but when my mother moved to New Castle, Pa. in
1945, after she married my father, she would pick up the phone and ask
for say, OLiver 4 1234. Finally, after a few days, the operator said,
"You don't have to say OLiver 4, Ma'am. They're all OLiver 4."
--
Mark Lloyd