Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bberry@spamex.com is offline

Default moving a garage

On Feb 15, 9:40 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Can someone tell me what it may cost to have a garage moved back about
10 feet? We bought a new house last March and the builder at first
assured us that it was code to build the garage 10 feet from the house
but he was going to give us 12 feet. We felt really uncomfortable and
had a lot of time to play around with his 12 feet and could see it was
just too close to the house due to the way the house is situated. We
talked him into 16 feet and he had it done that way for us. He was so
very slow that we only finally had finalized everything buying the lot
next door in 9 months after we first signed for the house. But that
16 feet was close enough that after the final inspection was done on
the house my husband cut the corner off the back porch to give us more
room to back the car out. It still feels too close and I only backed
the car out one time, and didn't pull the car in until the corner of
the porch was removed.

I can't visualize what path you have that moving the garage back will give
you more room. Do you have to turn coming out of the garage? Are you
afraid to drive 16 feet along the house? Is there a pathway that you can
turn the drive around and move the door to the other end of the garage
instead of moving it? I'd bet the cost of moving it will be $10k or more.
It is not a matter of just pouring a slab, but putting in some footers too.

I don't know if I can explain this, but I will try. The house is set
on a 60 foot lot, th house is about 43 feet across that 60 feet. The
garage was situated so it is not a direct shot out of the garage, you
have to back it up with turning the back to the left and bring it back
so the car is sitting on the 10 foot drive. We have a dog so there is
a gate that my husband put about 10 feet off the corner of the house.
So it is a question of clearing the garage on the left and the corner
of the house on the right with the porch that has been cut. Yes we
realize we would have to put in some footers and a rat wall to about
24 inches by our code. We would want to go back 10 feet behind the
garage leaving the front of the garage in tact, not tearing anything
out. I hope this explains what we are looking at.