Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default moving a garage

On Feb 15, 7:35 pm, wrote:
Can someone tell me what it may cost to have a garage moved back about
10 feet? We bought a new house last March and the builder at first
assured us that it was code to build the garage 10 feet from the house
but he was going to give us 12 feet. We felt really uncomfortable and
had a lot of time to play around with his 12 feet and could see it was
just too close to the house due to the way the house is situated. We
talked him into 16 feet and he had it done that way for us. He was so
very slow that we only finally had finalized everything buying the lot
next door in 9 months after we first signed for the house. But that
16 feet was close enough that after the final inspection was done on
the house my husband cut the corner off the back porch to give us more
room to back the car out. It still feels too close and I only backed
the car out one time, and didn't pull the car in until the corner of
the porch was removed. We are happy with the house and getting the
lot next door, but we sure wish we had more room to get the car out of
the garage. Me especially. Can someone tell me what it may cost to
have a job like this done? We figure adding 10 feet of concrete
behind the garage, and having the garage moved back to that point
would be helpful. We would also need to have the electrical moved to
the new location. We have the wiring in the garage for a generator so
that would require the proper wire for that. The generator isn't
hooked up but my husband was going to do that part himself.

Gosh golly that's a tough one. Asssuming the garage has it's own pad
that means demolishing that portion of the pad after the garage is
moved. I once hired some guys to move a large shed for me. It was
cheaper than I expected and when they showed up they were total pros
who knew what to do. Look in the yellow pages under house movers.
Hard to say what it will cost but it may be cheaper than you think.

A garage is usully very simply constructed. You should be able to
demolish the front part of the garage and pad to make room. Then put
an additon on the back to make up for it. It can't be much harder
than moving the entire garage at least it's another idea.