Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default do not shop home depot

In article , "Steve B" wrote:

Boy could you ever get yourself in a pickle easily. Oral agreements are
very
often found as enforceable as written contracts.

What planet are you from? On this one, paper ones are very difficult to
enforce.

Oh, that's silly. I deal with thousands of contracts per year
in business and at home. Most work out fine. Issues and even
disputes arise from time to time but those are generally
resolved very quickly.

Yes, there may be more shady characters out there than you
or I would like. But most of the time, contracts, even verbal
ones, work and are enforcable.

Interestingly, in this case, Home Depot appear to have diverged
from their own written policies and (in my experience) their
customary behavior. Perhaps the OP did not tell the whole/true
story but it's just as likely that a poorly trained, minimal
wage employee screwed up. In the latter case, it is clearly
Home Depot's responsibility.

Of course, all bets are off if this purchase was a special
sale item sold on a receipt clearly endorsed with something
to the effect of "no returns".

If the OP has fairly represented the details of this
transaction, he will most likely prevail in, say, small
claims court. A courteous conversation with the local
store manager may resolve the issue even faster.

One thing I would do in his situation is to ask for a
written copy of the store's returns policy -- there is
a rather poorly written one on www.homedepot.com. Follow
the link Customer Service | Return Policy which does appear
to address (rather poorly) the in-store policy as well as
the on-line policy.

If the OP has misrepresented the facts, there's little
point in all of us pontificating on what might have
happened.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |