Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Corner Chisel for routed hinge mortises

Jay Pique wrote:
| On Feb 13, 7:55 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|| Jay Pique wrote:
||| Anyone here use the Lee Valley magnetic corner chisel for squaring
||| up hinge mortises that you've routed? Or any corner chisel, for
||| that matter. I was cleaning up a bunch today and was thinking
||| that one might be quicker - and cleaner. Any thoughts?
|| I have the LV model; but haven't used it for hinge mortises. I
|| like it but would like it a lot better if the magnets were about
|| twice as strong.
|
| Thanks, Morris. I saw the PC model Dan G. uses, which doesn't rely
| on magnets. I think I'll go with that one. What would be the
| benefit of having magnets hold the chisel, versus the PC style?
| Anyone know?

Update: Thought about this thread while building solar panels (with
convoluted dados and straight mortises) this afternoon - as I pared
dado corners with a 30+YO $3 Stanley chisel because that was the
easiest and quickest way to get the job done well. :-)

I probably should have mentioned before that a straight chisel is a
lot easier to sharpen than (probably) any corner chisel...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar