Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
The Dougster The Dougster is offline

Default Finger Joint Clamp

On Feb 4, 4:03 pm, I, "The Dougster" wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:22 am, I, wrote in thread
"Finger Joint Pitch" in rec.crafts.woodwoorking:

I would like you all to comment on how a 4 inch cross vise might clamp
such a joint for drilling that pin through the leaves in such a way
that the fingers were forced tightly together by the clamp.

The vise has removable jaws of flat steel about 6 mm thick and 1x4
inches.

I have drawn it out and a 1x3x4 inch block from the 1x3 inch bar I got
from MSC will do it. Cutting that block off the bar will let me use
the new tile saw wet with kerosene and a carbide blade instead of
water and diamond. Better use a low-volatile coolant. I don't want to
breath it or blow the house up. Maybe a varsol with some oil and wax.

I think I am going to have to mill the miter cuts and use an angle
gage to set it up. I'll probably have to put a clock gage on it to
make sure it isn't slipping during cutting, feed really slowly, and
use a drip of kerosene.

I've already got a model in wood.

Doug