Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Newbie

wrote:
I have always wanted to be a woodworker. Building furniture and making
house repairs. , building a deck is my main goal. I have no training
and want to know where to get started. I tried to email my local high
school but got no answer. I know I should go to class first. I live in
marysville, ohio and not sure where I can get classes, a good cost and
so forth. Also, when my husband found out I wanted to be a woodworker,
he is pushing me to go out and buy tools. I told him I dont want to
buy tools without advice. I want midrange multipurpose tools. Not too
expensive, not too cheap. Is there a place where I can get a list.
also lighweight would be good for me becasue I dont have regular size
wrists. My hands and wrists are very small. I have a dremel with
attachemets and a 24 volt drill. I have a work bench and that thing
that goes around your waist to hold tools. I have drill heads, various
nail sizes, hammer, wrenches, level, tape measure, hand saw, pencils
and various screw drivers. I know a little terms but not alot. There
is so much to know so an someone help me put and give me basics so i
can know what questions to ask? I am a computer analsys by trade right
now. Please assist

You've got some great feedback from some of the finest craftsmen around,
and that's worth a lot.

My addition would be to mention Popular Woodworking, a periodical that
you can find probably about anywhere. PW is one source, and there are
likely others. In the last issue I bought, there were some projects that
were very daunting, and they also had a feature called "I Can Do That".

Simple projects for the beginners that don't require a lot of skill or
tools. Just a willingness to learn.

One of the things that I've found is that I need some pretty fast
feedback on what I've done. It can be negative feedback, but it should
be pretty quick regardless. These projects will give you that. It may be
something that you look at and say "Oh, that's um.....nice." and never
look at again. But you will have developed a skill that you didn't have
before, and that's priceless.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.