Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Will this fit tighten with glue?

"whit3rd" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 15, 12:40 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I am using some coat pegs that measure 0.493". That is a pretty sloppy
fit
in a 0.500" hole

Also, the pegs will get (just before glueing) a hit from some
sandpaper so the glue will adhere?

Two good possibilities: saw a slot in the peg, and wedge it
slightly (the wedge and slot will be hidden in use).
Or, get the right size drill. 12.5mm is .492125 inch, should
work well. 31/64 is .484375, so if you rough the
peg with some 80grit sandpaper, it'd work, too.

31/64 is too small. I can probably sand it down to fit as you say.

But I am tight on the depth and wanted to use a forstners bit to avoid
cutting through the backside.
Not that anyone will see it, but still...
I will try some from a different store and see if they are better.
Thanks to all for your help.

To get an accurate diameter hole in wood is not easy, unless
you use Forstner or (sharp) auger bits. To do it with twist drills,
first make a pilot hole with 13/32", then clean it up with the
fullsize drill. Wood is capable of grabbing and steering the
bit that removes most of the wood, but a careful hand-held
drill job that removes only the last .080 or so should work well.