Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder Fred Holder is offline

Default Lathe Choices

On Feb 15, 10:25 am, THumphr wrote:
Hi everybody,
I'm getting ready to buy a starter lathe for myself. I was into
turning in highschool and I'm ready to get back into it.
I was just about to buy a Grizzly lathe and chuck when I received an
email from WoodCraft offering a oneday only 15% off on almost any
thing in the store!

So should I get the Rikon lathe and Pinnacle chuck from Woodcraft for
288.98 + tax or should I go for the Grizzly G0624 lathe and chuck for
$324.00 + tax.

-TH

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G062...products/h6266

http://woodcraftnews.com/t.aspx?S=1&...?familyid=5508

I don't have experience with either of the lathes you mention,
however, Grizzley stuff is generally good for the price. The Grizley
chuck is the Chinese copy of a Vicmarc chuck. If the Chinese did a
good job of copying, it should be an excellent chuck. I would tend to
go with the Grizley.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com