Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Will this fit tighten with glue?

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:40:05 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I am using some coat pegs that measure 0.493". That is a pretty sloppy fit
in a 0.500" hole, but other than hoping I can find an undersized drill bit,
I am not sure what to do about it.
Presumably the glue will swell the pieces a bit; but will it be enough for a
secure installation?
The pegs are a bit too expensive to waste one on a test.

The only time I used any coat pegs they were a tight fit, and the
tenon flared out a bit just below the flange. I glued em, but the way
I had to drive them in I think they'd have stayed in there for my
lifetime without any glue.

I think I'd try a 31/64, give the bit a little wiggle to enlarge it a
tad, ease the edges of the peg and drive the sucker in there. Will
depend on the two woods how much you can compress the fibers, and the
size of the board and location of the hole how much you risk splitting
the board.

-Leuf