Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Will this fit tighten with glue?

I do not know where you are. Here we have a cold winter and hot summer.
During the winter the house heating system works a lot. Even if the pegs
measure 0.50 outside dia. they do shrink to the point that they do fall out.
To cope with this change in temperature and wood expansion and contraction I
have use a dab of gorilla glue. This glue does expand and flex when the
ambient temperature changes. Any expanding glue sold by other manufactures
should do a good job. The chair doctor glue as stated earlier on this thread
is, also, a good choice. I also keep all wooden dowels, pegs and biscuits
in air tight container stored in ambient temperature.
As for odd size pegs I make them, when needed, on the lathe and size them
accordingly with the drill bit allowing for a snug fit.

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
I am using some coat pegs that measure 0.493". That is a pretty sloppy
fit in a 0.500" hole, but other than hoping I can find an undersized
drill bit, I am not sure what to do about it.

I'd go with either epoxy or maybe the "chair doctor" glue that is designed
to swell the wood.

Chris