Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell Steve Russell is offline

Default Lathe applied finish

Hello JD,

Chemistry is a bit of a hobby for me and I noticed your post about Carnauba
wax. This is a bit of info from one of my articles on waxes that is on
point:

Carnauba wax is the hardest natural vegetable wax, with a penetration of
only 2 dmm at 25 degrees Centigrade and only 3 dmm at 43.3 degrees
Centigrade. It is brittle and non-tacky with a melting point of
approximately 84 degrees Centigrade. This wax produces a very high gloss and
is frequently used to increase the melting point, gloss level, durability
and lubricity of other waxes.

If you would like to read the complete article (very comprehensive article
on various waxes), point your browser to the following:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/wax-finishes.html

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks and
all the best to you and yours!
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 2/15/07 7:48 AM, in article ,
"jd" wrote:

get some carnuba wax and melt it into a solid lump (let it cool and harden).
Get the work spinning Good and fast onthe lathe, and apply the lump of wax
until it generates enough friction to melt a thin layer onto the piece. Let
it cool for a minute, and apply a soft rag (or similar buffer - use
appropriate cautions to keep the fingers attached), and buff it up. Glass
like, hard finish that can be applied as fast as you can move the hunk of
wax. I use this for all kinds of work - bowls, wands, pretty much anything
that ins't going into a larger piece.

another method of application (if you're carefull) is to take a largish rag,
and fold it up into a fairly narrow band. Sprinkle carnuba wax flakes into
the rag as you fols it, so that the inside of the folds are full of wax
flakes. Once again, apply the rag to the spinning piece, and the heat will
melt the wax and it will seep through the rag onto the work......

note that Carnuba wax has a fairly high melting point - I don't know what it
is, but its high enough to be markedy uncomfortable if it drips on your hand
when liquid......

--JD

"Dick" wrote in message

I normally spray a finish but on repair work I need something that will
dry much quicker. I was wondering what most used for a glossy finish on
pens and such things while spinning on a lathe. I've read some on wax's
and such and would like to know just what in your opinions work the best.

Dick

--
RHN Custom Billiard Cues
Building fine cues for real pool players at