Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Burning Question

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:06:29 +0000, Woodborg
wrote:

Hi all

If you use a thin wire to burn the outside of a bowl or spindle, what
would i use to burn the inside of a curve surface such as a bowl.

I've done it with a bit of wood. Just take something that is really
hard, like maple or mesquite and chisel, grind, or whatever at it
until you have a thin tip. Use that to burn the inside- it will burn
your "tool" as well, but something like that is easy to replace.

I've also done it by accident with loaded sandpaper. If you fold it
up an old piece of fine sandpaper until you've got a sturdy corner on
it, it can work.

I'd go with either of these before sticking a metal contraption into
the bowl- granted, that's how you made the bowl in the first place,
but a bowl gouge and a penny in a pair of vise grips are not the same
animal.