Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Starlite Consumer Products DVD Player question

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a 95 day old (90 day warranty) DVD player that intermittently
refuses to read dvds. Typically, after 4 or 5 loading tries, the disc
is finally recognized. When it fails, the LED lights up, the carriage
moves back and forth many times, the tv shows loading, and then
finally gives a no-disc signal on the tv. After I removed the cover,
nothing changed. I have pushed on all the cables and sockets, and
also pushed on the various PWBs, all with no changes noted.

Google for (repair your own dvd player)

The very first test for any DVD player that won't read DVD discs, is to try
a CD in it. In general ( although I wouldn't suggest in 100% of cases ) a
player that will play CD's, but not DVD's, has a defective laser. If it
won't play either medium, this usually indicates a faulty mpeg board (
general name for the data decoding and processing board ). From experience,
many of the cheapo brands employ a standard IDE computer-type drive, and
these seem to fair much less well in domestic players, than they do in
computers, particularly in the case of DVD recorders. It is not unusual for
DVD players to fail this early in their life. I replace many lasers and deck
assemblies in players much less than a year old, but it's not usually an
issue, as the manufacturer's warranty is normally at least 1 year. Is this
one of yours second hand, as 90 days warranty doesn't seem right unless it
is ?

Arfa