Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Newbie

"Robatoy" wrote in news:1171506840.391780.158440
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Woodworking is classified somewhere between crack cocaine and Lays
potato chips.
Once bitten, the bug is impossible to shake.
It is a wonderful and rewarding hobby.

If I had to give one piece of advice based on my personal experience
it would be learning how to draw. Either manually or with your
computer. A basic course, a basic program..but learn to get those
thoughts/ideas out of your head into a form you can edit, look at,
file for later.
It brings some organization to the process.

A drawing will tell you so much about what you know and what you don't
know.

Start with a big sheet of paper and draw, life-size, something like an
end table..or a night stand..or a bird-feeder. Use real measurements.
It is a skill which you can develop along with the SAFE handling of
tools. Tools can quickly create projects and remove fingers. Very
versatile.

Learn to draw and learn to be safe.

Advice? Lots. They're a helpful bunch in here-a lot of fabulously
diverse characters, many of which are a pleasure to interact with.

r (Rob)

I'll second that idea.

I'd also like to point out the fact that there's more than one way to do
it. If your local community college offers a drafting class, that may be
a good starting place. Drafting can teach you to recognize lines and
angles, something essential for laying out your design.

I've also found that my drafting skills come in handy when I want to
communicate a design to my very visual mother and sister.

Puckdropper