Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent Lighting For Cold Conditions

"Lyle2254" u31763@uwe wrote in message news:6dd18d7ffb33b@uwe...
I am considering an addition to my garage and have started to think about
what I would like to have for lighting when I complete the construction.
Like most people I want a brightly lite area with low up front cost and
low
electrical consumption. Plus a system that works well in cold weather.
This
structure may not be heated at all times and I would like to flip the
switch
and have the lights to work instantly with out a major delay and extented
flicker. I have been told that my best choice in fluorescent lighting
would
be 4 foot T-8's with high power ballasts?

Others have addressed the cold start issue. I'll add this: Garages are
places where long-handled tools are sometimes handled with a certain amount
of abandon, so they could end up having a collision with a fluorescent tube.
Standing in a rain of glass isn't fun. So, when you're at the store, look
for something that sort of disappears into the display: Plastic tubes into
which you slip the fluorescent bulbs before installing them in the fixture.
They work. They're cheap.