Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Fluorescent Lighting For Cold Conditions

On Feb 14, 7:14 pm, "Lyle2254" u31763@uwe wrote:
I am considering an addition to my garage and have started to think about
what I would like to have for lighting when I complete the construction.
Like most people I want a brightly lite area with low up front cost and low
electrical consumption. Plus a system that works well in cold weather. This
structure may not be heated at all times and I would like to flip the switch
and have the lights to work instantly with out a major delay and extented
flicker. I have been told that my best choice in fluorescent lighting would
be 4 foot T-8's with high power ballasts?

FWIW, I just finished installing the lighting in my new shop/garage
and used 8' Lithonia 2-lamp fixtures with T-12 lamps.These were the
cold weather type from Home Depot. There are 2 switched sections of 3
fixtures (main) and 2 fixtures (auto section) for a total of 1100
watts of lighting. They are mounted flush on a 9' white painted
ceiling with no added reflectors. Quite honestly, this is the best
lighted shop I have ever had and when switched there is no lighting
delay at all. Even at $60+ per fixture it was money well spent.
Your criteria for bright lighting and low cost/low power consumption
are mutually exclusive. The free lunch adage definitely applies
here...so go ahead and get some decent lighting, keeping in mind that
the system isn't going to be on 24/7 anyway. The 8' fixtures are much
more cost effective than the smaller ones. HTH

Joe