Paul Coyne

Default OT: Speed cameras

There's a rule of navigation that says that regardless of who's in the
right, everyone must do all they can to avoid a collision. But
provided you're obeying this law at sea and the equivalent common sense
on land, your "right to use the highway" will count just fine.

Ahh, but it's that comon sense thing again which is so sadly lacking. What's
the statistic?
90% of pedestrians involved in an accident with a vehicle after the hours of
darkness are drunk?
The crux of the whole speeding laws are a cheap blanket attempt to save
people from their own stupidity and like all the other nanny state solutions
which take responsibility for peoples actions away from them it is
ultimately doomed to failure.

I am a motor cyclist and fit into the category within Hywls mind of bloody
lunatic. I disregard speed limits at all times except when when there are
cmaeras or policemen and drive instead in a manner I consider to be
acceptabl;e for that piece of road. If that happens to be 140 mph then so be
it.

I commute 35 miles eachway into and across London every day. The amount of
people driving who are on the phone, reading the paper, seemingly have no
indicators or fog light off switches, who will change lanes and open doors
with no thought whatsoever for the consequences, is astounding. But hey,
none of them are speeding ,so that's alright.

Paul