Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default Tools - Buying from eeebaaaay

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:47:28 -0500, Joe Bleau
wrote:

"Chisel--Buy now for $1.99. Shipping $29.00"

Why do I even bother looking?

Joe

Because the optimist in you hopes to find some item that an individual
has mis-listed (or mis-spelled) and you might be the only bidder ;-)
I occasionally luck up on something in computers/electronics (I can
fix most of that stuff), but haven't found any earth-shaking deals on
tools, yet ;-)

You're more likely to find a good deal on Craig's List
(www.craigslist.org check for your city/area and go to the tools,
free and wanted sections) or FreeCycle (www.freecycle.org find one in
your area and help keep useful stuff out of landfills) Oak & hickory
for "firewood" have both been listed in the Atlanta area this week
with "bring your chain saw" - meaning that the tree is down but the
pieces are big (can you mill your own lumber?) - along with some new
5'x7' oak pallets (need framing for a cabinet?). Also doors, trim,
flooring, and hardware from old houses (oak 2x4's & tin roofing this
month) turns up regularly (remodeller finds it cheaper to give stuff
away to someone whio will pick it up than to rent a dumpster). Just
check frequently - the good stuff gets taken VERY quickly...

John