Posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y
lyttlec lyttlec is offline

Default Southern Electric say each mobile phone charger uses 100kWhoursa DAY!

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:44:25 UTC, lyttlec wrote:

John wrote:
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
message ...
In message , Roger Matthews
writes

Sony say that my LCD 23" uses 0.7W on standby - that seems very low and
makes you inclined to question all of the figures being bandied around by
the Government!

I'm so green I don't use a flushing loo but consider my TVs left on
standby to provide background heating.

--
dave @ stejonda
Many manufacturers have been aspiring to the "1 Watt Initiative" for some

Even my old 28" CRT only uses 0.8w on standby.

The Green Campaigners are out of touch

0.8w*24hr/day*300,000,000 TV's = 5,760,000,000kw-hr/day in tv's only.
Now add in cell phone chargers, computers, and stereos. All that energy
wasted so we save 1sec when we want to get our daily dose of
mind-numbing drivel.

You're another one who likes to distort the truth, then? You might make
it a bit more convincing by at least trying to do the calculation
correctly.

0.8w*24hr/day = 19.2 watt/hours per day for one TV. Multiply that by
300,000,000 (where did you get the 5 TVs for every man, woman and child
in the country from?, but we'll leave that one) and you get 5,760,000
kwH per day.

So, you're three orders of magnitude out (a factor of 1000, in other
words). That's using a false assumption of 5 TVs each for everyone in
the UK; perhaps you meant some bigger area, but who knows? you
conveniently left that out.

Add in the fact that for a lot of that 24 hours the TV would be on
anyway. Then also the fact that many people turn the TV off when asleep
or not at home.

Greenwash. And highly unconvincing greenwash.

Ok, I did type kw-hr when I did mean w-hr. my bad.
OTOH, I should have used 600,000,000 for the number of TVs. The current
estimate for the US population is just over 300,000,000 and we have
closer to tvs per person. I know several families of three that have one
in each bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in the living room, one in the
den. Even if no one ever watches the one in the guest room, it is still
using 0.8W. So the correct number is 11,520,000 watt-hours/day. That
translates to about 3,417,600 pounds(1709tons) of coal/year, 24,000
pounds of SO2, 1600 tons of CO2 (coal is mostly carbon).

Have you ever noticed that during a blackout, the power sort of fade out
rather than goes off all at once? Thats because of all the wallwarts and
tv sets discharging into the grid.