Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default SLiding Door In Bedroom

"Thomas" wrote in message
. net...
Our bedroom has a 8ft sliding door. When I bought the house I had fabric
vertical blinds installed but with pets that was not the best choice. It
seems like a 8ft pull is a long way to pull blinds. Is there a way you
can put up a "dummy" curtain or anything to cover half of the opening and
then have blinds for the rest of it. Lets say a 4ft dummy something and
then a 4ft blinds. My other question is can you get wooden blinds,
vertical in 8ft sizes or would that be too heavy? Thanks.

Tom

I am going to have to think about your "dummy" option. Off the top of my
head I can not think of anything that I would choose to look at.

Your question about wooden blinds. I don't think anyone makes a vertical
blind with wood slats. You can get fabric, fabric with a vinyl casing, all
vinyl and I think you can still get aluminum ones.

If you meant an 8 foot wide horizontal wood blind, you don't want it even if
some company is dumb enough to make it. It is much to heavy to raise and
lower. Any wood or faux wood blind gets really heavy when you go over about
48" wide.

Wood blinds do not stack tightly when pulled up. To allow normal clearance
you would almost need to mount them 12-16" above the door casing to allow
head room for the door.

Okay I thought as I typed. A pricey but sharp looking option would be to use
CUSTOM made interior plantation shutters. Two panels that cover the "dummy"
side that equal 32-36" less than the opening and one panel for the actual
passage way. These are sold in 1.875, 2.50 and 3.5" louver widths. All
panels would be moveable. Two bifolding to the "dummy" side and one folding
to the passage side. A 36" panel size is the absolute max. The hinges just
can't carry more than that.

I can go over mounting requirements if you want to pursue this.

Colbyt