Posted to alt.home.repair
purpleleaf purpleleaf is offline

Default Cleaning Shower Drains

On Feb 14, 11:59 am, Norminn wrote:
purpleleaf wrote:
On Feb 14, 11:03 am, "michael" wrote:

On Feb 14, 4:14 am, Norminn wrote:

Just a reminder .. clean yer drain when you turn the clocks back and
change battery in the smoke alarm....

My shower drain seemed a little slow, so I took off the grate (dropped
one screw into the drain, of course) to see if it needed cleaning.
Using a quality coat hanger, bent with a small hook at the tip, I began
the task. When it hit bottom, it felt kind of spongy .. that worried me
that the pipe might have rusted away or something. I started pulling
stuff out, but still soft at the bottom. When I finished, I was totally
grossed out..think I might have something for the Guinness book of
records. There was at least 100 years worth of long hair in the drain,
but the building has only been here about 40 ...... Ick!

I use the little drain filters and they work well.

I wrote an article on a little device that works a lot like a hanger,
but is flexible, so it will go down in the curved area of a toilet to
get a toy out. Here is the link.
http://www.helium.com/tm/116184

Been a long time since any toys or wris****ches went down our drain )

I know what you mean, but then along came grandchildren!