Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

Hi Mark,

Good question. I wonder if any of these burners are lower in wattage,
even though they're of the same physical size. Is there anything
stamped on the burner itself (e.g., at the prong ends) that might
indicate their wattage or do you happen to have the owner's manual?

At the outer edge, thirty amps at 240-volts provides us with a maximum
of 7,200 watts and the 80 per cent rule drops us down to just 5,760
watts. Your breaker might tolerate some minor, short-term overloading
(I honestly don't know), but four burners on high must be pushing that
30-amp circuit pretty hard, especially if your supply voltage should
fall much below 240.

Cheers,
Paul

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:24:24 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

What I have here is built-in, where the oven and cooktop are separate
units. Each unit is on a separate 30A breaker.

The coils on the cooktop are the same size you mentioned (2 6 inch and
2 8 inch). That would seem to mean that would all require 35A. I have
had all 4 on high and it hasn't tripped the breaker.

That breaker (Square D) has a red trip indicator that is visible no
matter what (on of off, I've never had it trip). Could it be
defective?