Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TELCO wire (old) VS CAT5 or 6?

"mrbubl" wrote in message
. net...
Does CAT 3 or a "better" signal than standard 4 wire TELCO cable? If
one was to rewire from the NIB-NIC with CAT wire will their electrons
travel better? read faster connection and the like?

'TELCO' hasn't installed any 4-wire interior wiring in decades. The faux
old-style cable available in the stores is mostly junk. Buy the real stuff-
it doesn't cost much more.

For simple POTS voice service, assuming the outside plant in your
neighborhood is any good, damn near anything will work. If NIB-NIC means you
want to go from the demarc to the computer, a direct line using cat5e will
likely give you a cleaner signal, since the twisting cuts down on the noise
and cross-talk. If you are doing the whole house, definitely use cat5e or
higher, just so you never have to do it again. A direct line from demarc to
computer can make DSL a lot less fussy, if the rest of the inside wiring is
crap.

This place needs a rewire pretty bad, but since I can only get 40k dialup at
the demarc, it ain't real high on my priority list.

aem sends...