Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Basic DC electricity question

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:21:27 -0500, "HK" wrote:

I'm trying to help my daughter with a school project and while I know my way
around house wiring, I'm a relative newbie when it comes to low voltage.

Let's say I have a 6 volt DC power supply (4 "C" batteries). If I want to
drive a small motor and some lights, I just find 6 volt motors and lights
and wire them in parallel or series.

Why is it that I can't light up a 12v light with a 6 volt power supply? I
always test my batteries using a multi-meter and as the battery ages, the
voltage drops. With low voltage, the device (flashlight, etc.) still works
but the light is weak. So, wouldn't a 12v light just be weak if I use a 6v
power supply?

It should light, but dimly and more yellowish.

Try measuring the 6V supply WITH that light connected. You may find
that it's loading your C cells so much it's getting a lot less than
6V.

Is there some kind of voltage threshold at which a device won't work?

Like I said, basic question.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com