Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 05:51:08 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

[snip]

Quoting from the Whirlpool's website, "Electric coil ranges usually
have two high-output elements (8-inch coils rated 2,600 Watts) and two
low-output elements (6-inch coils rated 1,500 Watts)." Using these
numbers, if all four burners were turned on high, our combined load
would be 8,200-watts (34 amps) or just slightly over 85 per cent of
our circuit's capacity.

What I have here is built-in, where the oven and cooktop are separate
units. Each unit is on a separate 30A breaker.

The coils on the cooktop are the same size you mentioned (2 6 inch and
2 8 inch). That would seem to mean that would all require 35A. I have
had all 4 on high and it hasn't tripped the breaker.

That breaker (Square D) has a red trip indicator that is visible no
matter what (on of off, I've never had it trip). Could it be
defective?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com