Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Tilt-Up Garage Door

On 13 Feb 2007 18:45:14 -0800, "ctd4x4" wrote:

We have a standard, two-car garage with an old, steel, tilt-up garage
door. The previous owner built an un-permitted room along one side of
the garage which prevents us from simply installing a tracked, roll-up
garage door.

The problem has escalated because my wife's new car is just 1.5 inches
too tall for our old, bent garage door!

Our first option is to replace the old one with a new, straight tilt-
up, which would give us enough height for the car.

My question is, why doesn't anyone sell/install residential roll-up
garage doors that completely roll up into themselves, like you often
see on commercial garages and warehouses? That would certainly solve
our problems.

Anyone know of anyone who does this in Southern California?

The resulting roll takes up too much headroom. Commercial
garages are normally 14-16' tall.
Put in a sliding barn-style door.