Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default How do I chamfer the inner circumference of a Hole?

"Mark Z." wrote in news:1171490150.890194.98220
@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi all,

I am not a woodworking hobbyist and no one ever confused my
woodworking skills with those of Norm Abram. However, I do diddle from
time to time with small woodworking projects and repairs. I am
confronted with a problem that probably has an easy solution but I
don't know what it may be.

Specifically, I want to apply 30 degree and 45 degree chamfers to the
inner circumference of holes I have drilled in wood pieces. The holes
range in diameter from ¾" to 1". I do have a bench drill press and I
know there has to be a bit of some type that will do the job but
Google searches haven't pinpointed the tool(s) I need (or my keywords
are lacking). I had thought of using 30 and 45 degree routing
chamfering bits but this might be dangerous as the drill press is not
a router. Any input from you gentlemen on how this 'WOOD' best be
accomplished on my bench drill press 'WOOD' be appreciated.

Tx,

Mark

A couple ideas come to mind. First, you could try using a larger drill
bit and just touch it to the hole. That will put a drill bit angled
chamfer on your hole.

You could also look at counter sink bits. IDK if they come in different
sizes/angles, but it's worth looking on your next trip to the hardware
store.

I don't see anything wrong with chucking a router bit in a drill press,
and clamping the piece down and slowly slowly lowering the bit into the
hole. Clamping the work piece down is essential, as you're trying to
drill, not route your hole.

Puckdropper