Posted to rec.woodworking
The Other Funk The Other Funk is offline

Default Newbie

Finding the keyboard operational
entered:

I have always wanted to be a woodworker. Building furniture and making
house repairs. , building a deck is my main goal. I have no training
and want to know where to get started. I tried to email my local high
school but got no answer. I know I should go to class first. I live in
marysville, ohio and not sure where I can get classes, a good cost and
so forth. Also, when my husband found out I wanted to be a woodworker,
he is pushing me to go out and buy tools. I told him I dont want to
buy tools without advice. I want midrange multipurpose tools. Not too
expensive, not too cheap. Is there a place where I can get a list.
also lighweight would be good for me becasue I dont have regular size
wrists. My hands and wrists are very small. I have a dremel with
attachemets and a 24 volt drill. I have a work bench and that thing
that goes around your waist to hold tools. I have drill heads, various
nail sizes, hammer, wrenches, level, tape measure, hand saw, pencils
and various screw drivers. I know a little terms but not alot. There
is so much to know so an someone help me put and give me basics so i
can know what questions to ask? I am a computer analsys by trade right
now. Please assist

I don't post alot here because I usually need more advice then I have
knowledge but since you are just starting out there is one lesson that took
me a while to learn is that in addition to decks and furniture, woodworkers
make scrap. Especially when just starting out. Don't get discouraged when
the piece you just cut is too small. We've all done it and will do it again.
Learn from everywhere. On TV watch Hometime, New Yankee Workshop, This Old
House, Woodworks and a bunch of others. There is a show called "Toolbelt
Diva" that is geared toward women. It has helpful hints for getting the
right tools for smaller hands.
Hit the library. Sunset Books, August Homes. Video tapes an DVDs are
available, some at the library. Magazines like Fine Woodworking, Woodworker
and others, again at the library.
Above all ask questions. I guarantee that there are a bunch of other people
that will have the same question but won't ask.
One other thing. Before you even start your deck get a hold of your local
building department. There may be local ordinances that you have to follow.
The building dept. is not the enemy, they are there to help you.
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com