Posted to alt.home.repair
David David is offline

Default ** 3-way electrical light switch (strange problem) **

On Feb 14, 9:16 am, "Frank Ketchum" wrote:
"David" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hey All,

I have a room I can enter from two different doors. Each has a rocker
type switch on the wall. The lights are flouresant tubes. Suddenly
one of the switches needed to always be in the down position in order
for the lights to have a chance of going on while using the other
switch. If this particular switch was not in the down position, then
the lights would always be off no matter what I do to the other
switch. I went to Home Depot and changed out both switches. It
fixed the problem completely for about 2-3 days.. Suddenly the same
problem is occurring again (now with the new rocker 3-way switches).
How could this be? Anyone have any idea what is going on here and
how to fix this problem?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

-David

You probably have a loose wire somewhere. Either at one of the switches or
if the fixture is in between the switches electrically, somewhere in the
connections there.- Hide quoted text -

So you mean that possibly a wire is not tightly screwed down on the
switch properly? Or at the "fixture" between the switches? What
"fixture" would that be? Is there a fixture device which allows for
3-way switching? Do I need to find something ? Or are you speaking
of the lighting balast?

-David