Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Does it matter if kitchen floor cabinets are not level?

In article .com, "a1esta" wrote:
The floor has a gradient. I built on this floor a cement base( or you
can call it a raise platform usually for placing a kitchen cabinet on
it, so that the cabinet footing will not come into contact with water
when I wash the floor)

A wooden platform would have been easier to build -- and easier to change in
the future. Somebody's going to want to remodel that kitchen some day.

Now my resulting cement base follows the gradient of the orignal
floor. I intend to tile it up. That means that I have the final chance
to change the gradient to a perfect level. This can be done when I put
on the tiles on the cement base and level the tiles to a perfect level
instead of a gradient.

I am tempted to just opt for whichever provide the most ease of work.
Any advise?

Yes. It does matter if the base cabinets are not level. The cabinets
themselves don't really matter, but your cooking surface matters very much.

The cooking surface needs to be as close to level as possible, so that sauces,
and oils for frying or sauteeing, cover the bottom of the pan to a uniform
depth. If the cooking surface is not level, it's very difficult to prepare
sauces properly: while waiting for a sauce to thicken on the low side of the
tilt (where it's deeper), you're burning it on the high side (where it's too
shallow). Same goes for frying and sauteeing.

Any cooktop that mounts directly onto the countertop will be only as close to
level as the countertop.

A free-standing range can be levelled independently of the countertop, of
course -- but if the countertops are not level, and the range is, it will be
obvious. It'll look like a sloppy, amateur job of installation.

--
Regards,